Skip to main content

MY STRENGTH IS OUTTA CONTROL AND I’M HARDLY TRYING


MY STRENGTH IS OUTTA CONTROL AND I’M HARDLY TRYING

BY LAUREN BROOKS, SENIOR SFG


Over the last few months I have performed some lifts that I previously didn’t think could be done by a gal my size. After exchanging some emails with Pavel, he has asked me to write about how I made this happen. I was very honest with him and told him that I didn’t train for it or even try very hard. In fact, the path I took was quite boring. Then I remembered I’m writing for a population that likes “boring” programs. Not boring in our eyes, but it would be as boring as it comes for the mainstream fitness buff.
I discovered that strength can work in very mysterious ways. Living with toxic stress and/or poisonous people can weigh you down in all aspects of life. There’s only so much one body and mind can take. I’ve found for both my students and me, stress takes your strength away and makes all lifts feel heavy. You find yourself training harder during the times you are stressed and risk getting weaker or injured in the process. Letting go of the energy vampires and truly owning the path you take in life is much easier said than done. If everyone could take charge of their own life, we’d have a lot of powerful happy people. Personally I’ve released some very heavy things from my life over the last year. I will admit, it was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. On the flip side, once I got through the thick of it and began to have clarity, it allowed me to conquer almost anything that came my way.
Back to physical strength: I currently weigh between 112 and 114 pounds. In the last several months, with minimal training, I achieved a 62 pound Get Up, 13 Ring Pull-ups, 140 pound Single Leg Dead Lifts and a Ring Pull-up with 53 pounds hanging from my feet. So how did this happen?  ....

VIEW ENTIRE ARTICLE HERE



Comments

JB said…
Wonderful article Lauren. You're a true inspiration to the kettlebell community. My wife especially is a huge fan of yours.

Your contributions to Strongfirst are amazing! Keep it up!

Jenny said…
Thank you for a very insightful post, stronger mentally has always equaled stronger physically for me too :-)
Adam Baratz said…
Really great post! Keep up the great work.

Its amazing how we can create virtuous or destructive cycles. You are clearly on a cycle that is leading to personal and physical growth. Its inspiring!
Johnny Z said…
A very great article indeed. When it comes to kettlebells you are truly the queen! :D. I love the passion and inspiration you bring across. Keep it up.

Most Popular Posts

What Doctor's don't tell you after a C-section

I have now been through 2 C-sections since writing this blog post and thankfully I've recovered beautifully from both with the appropriate progressions. For those who are new and are just finding me. WELCOME! First let me say I did NOT want a C-section. I did everything in my power to avoid the first and even the second. I'm a kettlebell fitness strength and conditioning coach who relies on her body to share, teach, educate, and I was under the impression that having to give birth via C-section would and could destroy my body and career. Boy was I wrong! If you're feeing the same way, start by reading this article I wrote many years ago that still applies today! Many people have asked and here is part of my experience.  I don't claim to be a medical expert but not only have I successfully healed my C-section, my abdominals are no longer numb, and I've successfully helped others who've had multiple C-sections (even some 20 years ago) find their core aga

21 Day Squat Challenge - #21DaysOfSquats

Welcome to the 5th Annual Squat Challenge!  Updated for JANUARY 1, 2020 **We are SWITCHING things up this year** Why Squat?  Squats are one of the most beneficial exercises to practice. I could sit here and tell you how squatting makes you stronger, more conditioned, firms your legs and butt, improves digestion, increases energy and mood, but I'm sure you know the endless amount of benefits. A few people who've participated in the past squat challenges chose to share their experiences which I've shared below.  So let's just get to squatting! Beginners are welcomed! Join our Challenge Today completely FREE  here  and read the easy rules below on how to win one year free access to Lauren's Playground.  Do you plan on doing more than the Squat Challenge? If you want a workout plan... hundreds of people in Lauren's Playground will be doing programs like Upper Body Bliss and the Tushy Toning Transformation in conjunction with the 21 Day Sq